I have a bunch of blog posts in the unfinished pipeline but I also blog over at the Galleon.PH Engineering Blog and on our internal team blog.
We recently performed a migration of our 1TB database over to Google Cloud Platform, both to save on costs and to give us more room to grow. It took about a week to work out the kinks and problems but in the end, we ended up saving about 300GB in space after we cleared out some duplicate indexes and re-imported the database. It really works wonders to start a fresh database import.
If you’re interested to see how we did it, including with replication, check out the blog post: Setting up MySQL / MariaDB replication on Google Cloud Platform.